- Art ServedProject Featured On:Art Served — 8/6/12
Five Orange Spheres
- FIVE ORANGE SPHERES Click on image to enlarge.© Stuart Williams 1981–1983. All rights reserved.All photos © Stuart Williams unless otherwise noted.
This traveling installation spanned a time period of two and a half years, and included urban and rural sites across the U.S. and Europe. The setting here is Cannon Beach, Oregon.The project was published in LIFE Magazine and in journals in France, Italy and Germany. Compensation for publication rights allowed the project to continue, ultimately leading to a total of 16 installations.“Ohhh...... those are beautiful!”— Andy Warhol(from an interview, in response to Williams’ "Five Orange Spheres” project)All photos © Stuart Williams unless otherwise noted.
- At Chateau d'Azay-le-Rideau, France, the five orbs floated on the moat.
- “A skillfully orchestrated union of the literal with the metaphorical… a triumph of the ephemeral.”
— PANORAMA MESE magazine / Milan, Italy.
The location here is Palisades Park in Santa Monica, California. Photo © Craig Collins.
- Artist's sketch for the palm tree installation of "Five Orange Spheres.” This sketch shows the spheres suspended over Foothill Drive in Beverly Hills. The final installation was created in Palisades Park in Santa Monica, California.
- Here, the five, six-foot diameter spheres lounge in the Sheep's Meadow of Central Park in New York City.
- Telegraph Hill, San Francisco, California
- In Mill Valley, California the five spheres appear to march right into the house. A very close look reveals the 5th sphere which has already entered the house.
- The quintet in the small Alpine village of Filisur, Switzerland.
- Another view of the five spheres in Filisur, Switzerland.